First things first– this Fling is not fully complete. We wanted to get it in front of our customers as soon as possible, and so we are only offering the following features for the time being (we feel that these are the most commonly used actions/views):
- VM Power Operations (common cases)
- VM Edit Settings (simple CPU, Memory, Disk changes)
- VM Console
- VM and Host Summary pages
- VM Migration (only to a Host)
- Clone to Template/VM
- Create VM on a Host (limited)
- Additional monitoring views (Performance charts, Tasks, Events)
- Global Views (Recent tasks, Alarms–view only)
This Fling has been designed to work with your existing vSphere 6.0 environments. The new client is deployed as a new VM from the downloadable OVA. Currently the installation instructions are command line-based, but we are working on a GUI installation and plan to release it as an update to this Fling once it is ready.
We intend to regularly update this Fling to both provide new features and address reported issues, based on feedback. When providing feedback, please provide as much detail as possible to help us understand and fix any issues.
- Firefox and Chrome are most compatible with this Fling. IE11 should also work with no issues. We have tested with Safari and Edge as well.
- Linux will show a warning on the login page about being unsupported, but the Fling should still work after login
- Bug: Unpatched versions of IE can fail to login and end up at URL “vmware-csd://csd”: This is a known vCenter 6.0 bug that we cannot patch with this appliance. The KB and fix are located here
System requirements – 2 vCPU, 4 GB RAM, 14 GB
- 2 vCPU, 4 GB RAM, 14 GB
- An existing VC6.0 installation (VCSA or Windows). The H5 client appliance will need 4 GB RAM, 2 vCPUs and the hard disk will grow up to 14 GB.
- Recommended browsers: Chrome, Firefox, IE11. Others may work, with some functional or layout issues.
- Windows vCenter: Was tested with a vCenter on Windows Server 2012 R2, but should work with other versions as well. Please report any issues.
- HTML Client SDK Fling Overview.pdf.
- HTML Client SDK Fling Overview and Release Notes.pdf.
- H5 Client Deployment Instructions and Helpful Tips_v22.pdf.