VMware vCloud® Architecture Toolkit™ for Service Providers (vCAT-SP) is a set of reference documents that are designed to help VMware service provider partners within the VMware vCloud Air™ Network define, design, implement, and operate their VMware powered cloud platforms and services.
vCAT-SP is completely hardware vendor agnostic, although some vendors are mentioned in the implementation examples because the examples are based on implementations that VMware has performed with customers in the field.
The design guidelines and considerations highlighted in the vCAT-SP documentation are based on real world use cases and implementation experience gained from the field. The consumer (architect) will have the opportunity to choose design considerations that are important to the success of the cloud platform, and should consider interrelated design options holistically. For example, a requirement for higher performance might influence management and operations.
vCAT-SP has been developed so that each document can stand alone and provide guidance to the
architect on implementing a specific part of the solution. For example, the Architecting VMware NSX for Service Providers document can be used by a service provider who has already implemented a core cloud product based on VMware vSphere® or VMware vCloud Director®, understands how this component fits into a wider solution, and knows how to design based on required outcomes and use cases.
The vCAT-SP documentation is organized as follows:
- General documents – Document map and introduction on how to consume and leverage vCAT-SP.
- Service definition documents – Documents that enable the consumer to effectively define requirements for the cloud platform and determine what services to offer to their end users.
- Architecture documents – Documents that highlight the logical design and operational considerations within a specific architectural domain.
- Solution architecture example documents – Documents that provide solution architecture examples of a cloud platform.
- Solutions and services examples – Documents that provide architecture guidance and implementation blueprints for value-add services and solutions that can be added to the core cloud platform.
The following diagram highlights the key solution areas to consider across each cloud service model and
the VMware products that align to those areas.